NTPC believes in the philosophy ‘Grow your own timber’. We hire afresh from campuses and groom individuals into all round Power Professionals. NTPC's ‘Executive Trainee’ Scheme was introduced in the year 1977 with the objective to raise a cadre of home grown professionals. First Division Graduate Engineers/Post Graduates are hired through nation wide open competitive examination GATE conducted by IITs, followed by an interview. Hiring is followed by 52 weeks induction training (fully paid) consisting of theoretical input, on job training, personality development & management modules.
- Theater Workshop - The orientation module for ETs include such unique practices like Theatre Workshops in order to enhance their communication skills-verbal and non verbal, team work, body language, expressions etc. conducted with the help of professional institutions like National School of Drama.
- Yoga - For the holistic development of the trainees, caring for their physical health and mental alertness is as important as hard skills training. Yoga and meditation are part of our orientation-training programme for Executive Trainees. Yoga sessions are scheduled every morning during the training period.
- Corporate Social Responsibility - - In order to make new hires a part of our social responsibility drive, exposure to on-field community development and responsibilities towards Project Affected Persons is given. A special module on corporate social responsibility is a part of orientation training which covers all the important aspects of corporate social responsibility like environment, safety, health hazards, environmental impact, ash utilisation etc.
- Mentoring "Ankur" - For effective socialisation and transformation from training mode to executive capacity of taking responsibility, executive trainees are attached to mentors once they are put on job. Mentors are senior executives with 10-15 years of experience in NTPC who act as a friend, philosopher and guide to the budding power professionals.
- Sports - To keep the trainees physically active and agile, emphasis is laid on sports activities. Sports infrastructure has been provided at each NTPC location and trainees are encouraged to participate in different sports activities.