NTPC emerges as a Diversified Power Player
06th Jun, 2016
- NTPC, the leading power major of India contributing 24 % of country’s generation
- NTPC is poised to cross 50 GW capacity in current fiscal – The installed capacity as on June 6, 2016 is 47,178 MW. Added 2255 MW during 2015-16. First hydro project at Koldam commences commercial operation.
- 24 GW under construction- Rapid capitalization in next couple of years to take the Company on growth trajectory and drive earnings
- Around 5 GW of capacity to be added in current fiscal 2016-17
- During FY 2015-16, further capacity of 2360 MW with an investment of Rs. 15,482.27 crore was approved in respect of NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar PV Project at Anantapuram (5x50MW) (Andhra Pradesh), Mandsaur Solar PV Project (5x50 MW) (Madhya Pradesh), Bhadla Solar PV Project (4x65 MW) (Rajasthan) and coal based project (2x800 MW) at Telangana.
- NTPC recorded highest ever gross generation of 241.98 BU during the year 2015-16. NTPC coal stations achieved a PLF of 78.61% during the year 2015-16, which is highest among Central, State and Private Sector. NTPC Group recorded Gross Generation of 263.42 Billion Units during the year 2015-16.
- On June 3, 2016, NTPC stations achieved highest ever daily generation of 767.63 Million Units (previous highest of 758.13 Million Units was on May 12, 2016). NTPC Group recorded highest ever daily generation of 846.10 Million Units( previous best 844.35 Million Units on May 12 , 2016). This was over 25% of total generation in a day in the country.
- Under UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojna) which utilises the best principles of cooperative and competitive federalism aimed to reform distribution sector in India, NTPC reduced ECR from Rs. 2.03/unit in April 2015 to Rs. 1.69/unit in February 2016 by about 34 paise/unit due to rationalization of linkages and reducing imported coal consumption.
- Top 3 stations in terms of PLF (Talcher Thermal-93.15%, Singrauli-92.61% and Talcher-Kaniha-90.95%), in the country from NTPC. Six out of top ten performing stations in terms of PLF in the country belong to NTPC.
- As a responsible power major, thrust on adding 10 GW of renewables to its capacity besides generating power from well diversified fuel mix consisting of Coal, Gas, Hydro and Solar. 310 MW of solar capacity already operational- to add another 1310 MW in near term.
- On May 17, this year, we have opened Pakri-Barwadih coal mining project from Western Pit-1 million tonne of coal likely to be mined this year. Mine Developer cum Operator to be appointed in 3 more coal mines namely Chatti Bariatu, Dulanga and Talaipalli, shortly.
- 10 mines with capacity of 7 Billion Tonnes and production potential of 107 MTPA allocated to NTPC - production to commence within 3 years in 4 more mines.
- Pursuing inorganic growth path - acquired Patratu Thermal Power Station having operating capacity of 325 MW through Subsidiary route.
- A Joint Venture Agreement has been signed between NTPC Ltd. and Coal India Limited to take up the revival of Fertilizer Plants of Fertilizer Corporation of India Limited (FCIL) at Sindri (Bihar) and Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh). A Joint Venture Company “Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Limited” is under incorporation.
- Payment Security further strengthened- Tri-Partite Agreement with states expected to be extended.
- Cabinet has approved a proposal for allowing flexibility in use of domestic coal to reduce the cost of power generation. Company can now decide the coal logistics aimed at reducing the Energy Charges and freight component leveraging efficiency – detailed methodology to be issued by Govt. of India
- Under the amendment issued to Tariff Policy in January, 2016, the Generating Companies can now sell URS power in the market with the consent of Beneficiary and share the gain realized from such sale- win win situation for generator and beneficiaries,
- Total Assets of the Company crossed Rs. 2 lakh crore this year on Stand Alone basis and stood at Rs. 2,14,619.26 crore as on 31.03.2016 as compared to total assets of Rs. 1,97,134.72 crore as on 31.03.2015
- NTPC is amongst the top ten profit making companies for the year in “NIFTY 50”.
- The Total Income for FY 2015-16 is Rs. 71,696.07 crore and Profit after Tax is Rs. 10,242.91 crore. Generation segment contributes about 88% of total earnings.
- Paying dividend continuously for the last 23 years. For the financial year 2015-16, the Board has recommended the final dividend @ 17.50% subject to the approval of shareholders in the forthcoming Annual General Meeting. Including interim dividend of 16.00%, the dividend for fiscal 2015-16 works out to 33.50% of paid-up share capital.
- Incurred Capex of Rs. 25,737.59 crore during the FY16 against MOU target of Rs. 23,000 crore, thus achieving 112% of target utilization. Total Capex including Group companies was Rs. 31,868.88 crore.
- Current year capex target is Rs. 30,000 crore for NTPC Ltd. In addition, the Group Companies are likely to incur capex of Rs. 8,965 crore.
- In the global market, placed Eurobonds amounting to USD 500 million having tenure of 10 years at a coupon of 4.25%.
- Mobilised Rs. 2,455 crore through Bonds including Rs. 1,000 crore through Tax Free Bonds. Public issue of Tax Free Bonds received over whelming response and issue was over-subscribed within few minutes of opening and issue was closed at the earliest possible date. Issue was over-subscribed by 6.3 times.
- Banks and Domestic financial institutions continued to support the capex program of the Company. During the financial year 2015-16, agreement for a term loan of Rs. 2,000/- crore was executed. The undrawn balance available under various sanctioned loans from domestic banks/Financial Institutions was Rs. 17,160.00 crore as on March 31, 2016.
- 100% realization of the billing for the 13th consecutive year.
- Contributed Rs.4,113.30 crore to exchequer (Corporate tax Rs.1,403.02 crore + Dividend Rs.2,070.51 crore +Dividend tax Rs.562.32 crore + wealth tax of Rs.7.45 crore)
- Government of India disinvested 5% of NTPC’s Equity Share Capital through Offer for Sale in February 2016. With this, the equity holding of Government of India in NTPC stands reduced to 69.96% of the paid-up capital from 74.96%.
- NTPC championed the cause of Swachh Bharat by successfully completing about 29,000 toilets across 17 States covering 83 districts. Total expenditure on CSR for the year 2015-16 was Rs. 491.80 crore (including Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan).
- NTPC has inked two separate MoUs with Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (NSDF – National Skill Development Fund) and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) with total fund of Rs. 36.50 crore for various employability linked skill development programs.
- NTPC has committed to contribute Rs. 200 crore for setting up of IIIT, Raipur. The institute commenced its academic session from 2015-16.
« Back to Press Releases